Spring has sprung (I think?….did I just jinx it?) and maybe you want to hit the ground running — maybe literally!
This month, let’s shake off the long colder months by getting active outside.
Here’s my challenge: increase your outside-the-gym activity by 10 percent, and do it in the great outdoors.
Most of us tend to do a little less over winter. Cold days and darkness can make it easy to fire up a streaming service and zone out on the couch. But with spring in the air, it’s time to move.
Whatever your current activity level is, I want you to add something to it. This doesn’t have to be a workout. You can certainly choose to train outside, but I really just want you to add something that will get you out in the sunshine and fresh air.
Here are a few ideas:
- Go for a 20-minute walk after supper, before you go to work, or on your first break of the day to get some early sun in your eyes.
- Jog 1 mile twice a week.
- Get the bike on the road. Maybe bike to the gym or to work if you work close enough to your house!
- Text a friend and go for a stroll with them (or call a friend/family member).
- Take a short trip to somewhere with some trails and do some walking (NB riverbank, the Gas Flats south of town, Vera pasture northwest of town, etc).
- Start cleaning up the yard for summer.
- Dig the garden so it’s ready for the plant.
- Do 15 minutes of stretching on the deck or patio or even in a sunny spot near the office.
- Organize a pick-up game—any sport you like or just a fun game with the kids or some friends, toss a ball around or a frisbee.
- Try out a new sport or revisit an old favorite: maybe hit a driving range, shoot some hoops, get out the pickleball paddle, heck, even play tag with your kids/grandkids!
If you just think “I’ll probably get out and enjoy the weather,” it might not happen. Winter patterns can be hard to break.
So take action: Select one outdoor activity per week (can be the same each week too!) and put it on the calendar. Actually schedule it so it happens. Tell someone you are doing it or set a time to do it together.
I’d love to see what you entered on your calendar!
Let me know or text me a screen shot. I’m excited to see what you decide on.
The point here: I want you to leave winter behind and shift gears.
So pick something, grab some sunglasses and head outside.
And here’s an open offer: Let’s connect to talk if you’ve signed up for any events this spring or summer. You can book that appointment here. Lots of people plan to do fun runs, races, hikes, paddling excursions, fitness competitions, epic vacation adventures and other stuff; we’d love to help you get prepared for it.
If you have something in mind, let me know. I’d be happy to review your recent progress and make sure you’re on track for maximum enjoyment and success in your upcoming activities.
Now get some outdoor activities on the calendar and let’s get moving!